November 2022 Advocacy Champion
Dawn Ellison, MD
1. Why is being an advocate so important to you?
- Emergency Physician
- President and Founder of Influencing Healthcare, LLC
I have always been driven to make a difference. This was modeled in my family by my mother and older brothers. It is purely selfish as it brings me joy to know that I am helping others.
2. What health-care related issue(s) have you advocated for over the past year?
3. What advice would you offer to others who are interested in advocacy?
- I assisted the MMA in advocating for patient safety and physician well-being by championing Communication and Optimal Resolution (CANDOR) in the state.
- My work with Influencing Healthcare this past year has focused on giving physicians the tools they need to recover from the stresses of the pandemic; lead transparently and nimbly; and learn practices that bring joy back into their lives.
- I have been hosting the Granite Table steering committee in St Cloud. They work on social determinants of health with their mission of "Enriching lives in Central Minnesota through intentional, collaborative, and equitable action."
- Since the U.S. Supreme Court decision about Roe v. Wade, I have spoken out about women's access to healthcare.
- I am co-hosting Conversations on Race and Equity for the MMA, which offers an opportunity to learn to talk about race and equity issues in a safe place.
It is so rewarding to hear that you are making a difference in people's lives. Ask yourself what you care about and what skills you can bring to those causes. Physicians still do have a voice in their communities and can leverage that voice for the good. Believe There is Good!
Past Advocacy Champions
- October 2022: Julia Joseph-Di Caprio, MD, MPH
- September 2022: Siri Fiebiger, MD
- August 2022: Corey Martin, MD
- July 2022: Mark Rosenberg, MD
- June 2022: Vince D. LaPorte, MD
- May 2022: Lora Princ, MD, MBA
- April 2022: Kimberly Tjaden, MD, MPH, FAAFP
- Mar. 2022: Kacey Justesen, MD
- Feb. 2022: La Princess Brewer, MD, MPH
- Jan. 2022: Juan Bowen, MD
- Dec. 2021: Natalia Dorf-Biederman, MD
- Nov. 2021: Liselotte (Lotte) N. Dyrbye, MD, MHPE, FACP
- Oct. 2021: Joshua Stein, MD
- Sept. 2021: Gregory A. Poland, M.D., MACP, FIDSA, FRCP (London)
- Aug. 2021: Deborah Erickson, MD
- Jul. 2021: Caleb Schultz, MD, MPH
- Jun. 2021: Jill Amsberry, DO
- May 2021: Maria Arciniegas Calle, MD
- Apr. 2021: Derrick Lewis
- Mar. 2021: Cindy Firkins Smith, MD
- Feb. 2021: Maria Veronica Svetaz, MD, MPH
- Jan. 2021: Paul Matson, MD
- Dec. 2020: Verna A. Thornton, MD
- Nov 2020: Chris Wee, MD
- Oct 2020: Beth Baker, MD
- Sept. 2020: Edward P. Ehlinger, MD, MSPH
- Aug. 2020: Ashok Patel, MD
- July 2020: Sen. Matt Klein, MD
- June 2020: Nathan T. Chomilo, MD, FAAP
- May 2020: Peter F. Bornstein, MD, MBA
- April 2020: Tom Schmidt, MS4
- March 2020: Rachel E. W. Tellez, MD
- Feb. 2020: Dionne Hart, MD, DFAPA
- Jan. 2020: Heather Bell, MD
- December 2019: Rep. Kelly Morrison, MD
- November 2019: Carolyn McClain, MD
- October 2019: Renee Crichlow, MD, FAAP
- September 2019: Will Nicholson, MD
- August 2019: Lauren Williams, MD
- July 2019: Carl E. Burkland, MD
- June 2019: Marilyn J Peitso, MD, FAAP